The Ujjayanta Palace is formerly a royal palace of the Tripura, situated in the state of Agartala. Built in 1901, it has magnificent tiled floors, carved wooden ceilings and lovely doors. The name ‘Ujjayanta Palace’ was given by Rabindranath Tagore, a regular visitor of Tripura. The palace includes the Public halls, Throned room, Durbar Hall, Library, The Chinese Room and The Reception Hall.
Earlier it also served as the meeting place for the Tripura Legislative Assembly until 2011 and now it serves as a museum and a tourist attraction of Agartala. The Palace stands on the banks of a small lake surrounded by the lush greenery of Mughal gardens in Agartala. Spread over an expanse of 28 hectares of parkland, this exotic palace has several Hindu temples dedicated to the deities, Lakshmi Narayan, Uma-Maheshwari, Kali and Jagannath. One of the largest museums in Northeast India, covering an area over 800 acres of land in the capital city it depicts the lifestyle, art, culture, tradition and utility crafts, beside the customs and practices of various communities residing in northeast India. Rabindranath Tagore named the palace which was bought down by the Tripura government in 1972-73 from the royal family. Maharaja Radha Kishore Manikya, the Tripura King invested in the construction of the Palace in the years 1899-1901.